Laura on: The Perfect Oyster Shooter Recipe
In honor of National Oyster Day, we wanted to share a tried and true oyster recipe with you from our Happy Everything Cookbook! With football season around the corner (Milton and I both are anxiously counting down the days), I am so excited to make these again. Being so close to the Gulf of Mexico, it’s common at Florida State tailgates and watch parties to find bushels of oysters packed on ice for the day’s festivities. Such an easy and different way to serve oysters at a tailgate or any backyard gathering!
What you’ll need:
1 ½ cups clamato juice or 1 cup tomato juice & ½ cup bottle clam juice
¼ cup ketchup
¼ cup fresh lime juice (approx. 2 limes)
1 teaspoon hot sauce (Milton’s go to is )
¼ cup sweet onion or green onion, finely chopped
¼ fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped (optional) salt & pepper
½ cup vodka, divided (optional)
24 raw oysters
1. In a 5-cup container with a tight fitting lid, combine clamato juice, ketchup, lime juice, hot sauce, onion, and cilantro.
2. Put on lid and shake until combined.
3. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and additional hot sauce, if desired.
4. If using vodka, start by adding ¼ cup to tomato mixture. Taste and add more vodka, if desired.
5. Place one oyster in each shot glass, and top with several teaspoons of tomato juice mixture.
6. Serve immediately with saltine crackers on the side.
Tip: Plastic glasses can usually be found in most grocery stores near the straws, toothpicks, and other party items.